Saturday, April 26, 2008

In response to "On Reading Ethnic Literature Now"


In reading the essay "Reading Ethnic Literature Now" by our very own literary criticism professor Peter Powers, I was struck not so much by the issues surrounding the reading of ethnic literature, but the issue of reading at all. As an English major, I confess to sometimes feeling overwhelmed by the prospect of reading another novel or essay. Each semester, I dread leaving the Messiah College bookstore with 10-12 novels, all the while contemplating the amount of time and frustration I'll put into reading each and every one of them. And yet, I continue to read, and read voraciously, not only my assigned novels but also the ones I choose simply for enjoyment or stimulation.


It is, then, astonishing to consider the lack of purposeful reading occuring in today's society. Even at the depths of my frustrations with reading I continue to read independently, an activity which often occurs at night. I indulge in a few chapters of my latest novel (it's currently Tom Wolfe)before going to sleep. I grew up in a family of readers, though I'm the only English major, and to consider that the majority of adults in American society don't ever pick up a book is, frankly, frightening.


This past summer, I read the last Harry Potter book with the same excitement as millions of other readers, from children to teenagers to adults. As someone with a particular interest in children's literature, it was encouraging to see the way children literally waited to buy the book at midnight, devouring the story with the same excitement that I imagine most kids reserve for Guitar Hero. If reading continues to be downward trend, what can account for the record-breaking consumption of J.K. Rowling's tales? Is there something special about Harry Potter that we don't see in any other form of literature? Or do the Harry Potter stories just pander to the masses as a type of literary bubblegum?


I reject the idea that Harry Potter is somehow inferior to great literary works, therefore rendering the record-breaking reading of these stories irrevelant. Reading is reading, after all, and in such dire times for literary consumption, concerned readers should be encouraged by the reading of anything with as much creativity, and, frankly, length.


All of this is not to say that I don't recognize the value of reading ethnic literature. In a previous post I discussed my concerns that the English Department at Messiah doesn't do enough to encourage the reading of ethnic literature, and I stand by that assertion. I do, however, believe that we shouldn't neglect the importance of reading, and of reading anything, in an age when reading is becoming an increasing rarity.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Emily,
I had a very similar reaction to Dr. Powers' essay, I think. I agree with you that the popularity of Harry Potter and other young adult books (particularly fantasies) shouldn't be dismissed. In my post on the essay, I wrote that I felt like sometimes it does matter whether people are reading "good quality" books or not, even if there is a reading crisis - but "good quality" definitely doesn't exclude books like Harry Potter, which manage the impressive feat of being both popular AND complex. I feel like not only has Harry Potter been popular by itself, but it also seems to have revitalized the young adult interest in reading, which is a fantastic thing. But I also agree with you that it's scary that many adults don't read. It's sad that people have more opportunities than ever to be competent readers, but many of them still reach adulthood without basic reading comprehension skills.
Danielle

Caitlin said...

Hey Emily-
Like Danielle, I also had a similar reaction to Dr. Powers' essay. It's definitely scary that so many adults don't read! I noticed this fact in extreme abundance on everyone's favorite social website (and distraction, Facebook. Under "Favorite Books," or whatever it says on people's profiles, 9 times out of 10 the person says "I don't read," or, "Do magazines count?" I know Facebook isn't really social research, but it's interesting to see just how many of our college-educated peers don't read and don't care to read (unless they have to for a class.) It's kind of hard for me to fathom this, because reading is absolutely my favorite thing in the world to do. But then again, I did choose English for my major, so I guess my love of reading might be assumed :-)

I thought it was funny that Dr. Powers' daughter said, in response to his comment on her choice of reading material, "At least I read!" or something to that effect. I agree with this--at least she's reading. I don't even think there should be an "at least" to this--the act of reading itself is, to me, an educational experience, regardless of what exactly you're reading. I think it's amazing (and shocking) how much reading takes a backseat to TV and video games, so I'd be glad to see kids read pretty much anything.

Anonymous said...

Again, a really nice entry, Emily. And I'm so glad to know you are reading on your own. EVEN WHILE IN SCHOOL. Nothing short of miraculous.

Crescentsi said...

Yes! Jacques Derrida and "ecriture" points to the bias in the West, of writing things down, and the consequent breakdown of meaning.
This could explain (in part) the "lack of purposeful" reading.

Cheers!
Simon